Ingredients for 6 Servings
For the puff pastry
- 2 rolls of puff pastry dough (270 g each)
- 100 g caster sugar
- icing sugar
For the cream filling
- 400 g milk
- 200 g heavy cream
- 120 g granulated sugar
- seeds of 2 vanilla beans
- 8 egg yolks
- 60 g corn starch
- 150 g butter (cut into cubes)
- 25 g STROH 80
For the mascarpone cream
- 250 g heavy cream
- 250 g mascarpone
- 25 g sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Spread out the puff pastry dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dock it (prick it all over with a fork).
- Sprinkle the sugar on the dough evenly and bake it for 30 minutes at 160 °C fan until it is golden brown.
- Turn over the dough and bake until the other side turns a golden brown color as well.
- Take out the dough and turn oven heat up to 220 °C.
- Sprinkle the dough with icing sugar and bake again until the sugar has caramelized. Then allow it to cool.
- For the cream filling, heat the milk with the cream, sugar, and vanilla seeds.
- Mix the egg yolks and the corn starch, at first stirring in just a dash of the hot milk-cream mixture and then continuing with the rest.
- Simmer until the mixture gets a pudding-like consistency.
- Then take it off the burner and stir until cool, adding butter cubes and STROH. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- For the mascarpone cream, whisk all ingredients until creamy.
- Use a bread knife to cut the dough into 11 x 4 cm pieces.
- For each serving, first take one piece with its caramelized side face-down and use a piping bag to apply the cream filling in an even layer (1 cm thick).
- Then cover with a second piece and apply another layer of cream filling.
- Finish the serving with another piece of pastry and decorate it with mascarpone cream.