- 250 g honey
- 200 g brown cane sugar
- 100 g butter
- 1 tsp STROH 80
- 30 g candied lemon peel or candied orange peel
- 250 g smooth wheat flour
- 250 g rye flour
- 80 g finely ground almonds or hazelnuts
- ½ tsp untreated, finely grated organic lemon or orange zest
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 8 g baking soda
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat the honey, sugar, butter and STROH in a saucepan at a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, without allowing it to boil.
- Finely chop the candied lemon peel or candied orange peel in a mixer.
- Blend the flour with the nuts or almonds, candied lemon peel, citrus zest and gingerbread spice in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Dissolve the baking soda in milk and add to the flour mixture. Add the hot honey mixture and the eggs and knead the dough quickly with a dough hook until everything is combined.
- Cover the gingerbread dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight or up to 1 week.
- Preheat the oven to 170-180 °C.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 3-4 mm on a lightly floured surface and cut out with cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking tray with baking parchment and bake for 9-13 min. (depending on gingerbread size).
- Carefully press almonds or nuts into the dough before baking.
- Decorate and garnish as you like with chocolate, fondant, icing sugar, egg white or lemon icing.