For the strudel dough
- 300 g plain flour
- 20 g oil
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125 ml lukewarm water
For the filling
- 150 g soft butter
- 150 g sugar
- 20 g breadcrumbs
- 80 g raisins (soaked in STROH 40)
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- lemons zest
- vanilla sugar
- 300 g white bread without crust
- 125 ml milk
- 250 g sour cream
For the egg milk
- 150 g sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- vanilla sauce (enhanced with a splash of STROH according to preference)
- To prepare the strudel dough, combine all the dough ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until a smooth dough is formed (The amount of water required depends on the flour’s absorption capacity and may vary). Once the dough attains the desired elastic consistency, shape it into a ball. Brush the ball with oil and allow it to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- For the filling, cut the bread into cubes and soak it in milk.
- Beat the soft butter, half of the sugar, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla sugar (to taste) until frothy. Next, gradually add the egg yolks, still beating to maintain a frothy consistency.
- Fold in the soaked bread cubes, sour cream, breadcrumbs, and raisins.
- Finally, whisk the egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold it into the filling mixture carefully.
- For the egg milk, mix together milk, egg, and sugar.
- Once the strudel dough has rested, roll it out a with a rolling pin into a circular shape. Then place dough on a cloth dusted with flour. Carefully lift it with the backs of both hands, and gradually pull it out to all sides until the pulled-out dough surface extends several centimeters over the edge of your work surface.
- Spread the filling onto two thirds of the dough. Carefully brush the rest of the dough’s surface with melted butter. Roll up the strudel and place it in a greased pan.
- Pour in halt of the egg milk on it.
- Bake in the oven for ca. 30 minutes at 180 °C top and bottom heat.
- Afterward, pour the rest of the egg milk on the strudel and bake it for another 15 to 20 minutes, at which point it should get a nice golden color.
- Serve the milk-cream strudel with vanilla sauce.